As a therapy, whole body vibration (sometimes abbreviated as WBV) was explored by Russian scientist Vladimir Nazarov, who tested vibration on astronauts in an effort to decrease the loss of muscle and bone mass in space.
The effects of mechanical stimulation, provided by WBV, generate acceleration forces acting on the body. These forces cause the muscles to lengthen, and this signal is received by the muscle spindle, a small organ in the muscle. This spindle transmits the signal through the central nervous system to the muscles involved. Therefore many more motor units are recruited to fire than in a conscious, voluntary movement. This is also evidenced by heightened EMG activity.
Another immediate effect of WBV is an improvement of circulation. The rapid contraction and relaxation of the muscles at 20 to 50 times per second basically works as a pump on the blood vessels and lymphatic vessels, increasing the speed of the blood flow through the body.
Other than its influence on the muscles, WBV can also have a positive effect on bone mineral density. Vibrations cause compression and remodeling of the bone tissue mechanostat, activating of the osteoblasts (bone building cells), while reducing the activity of the osteoclasts (cells that break bone down). Repeated stimulation of this system, combined with the increased pull on the bones by the muscles, will increase bone mineral density over time.
In preventing falls and the bone fractures that often result from them, enhancing bone mineral density is not the only important issue. Increased muscle power, postural control and balance are also factors worthy of consideration.
• Provides benefits of both anaerobic and aerobic exercise
• Increases physical strength, dexterity, and endurance
• Increases balance and coordination
• Increases flexibility, range of motion and mobility
• Enhances critical blood flow in the body (oxygenation and lymph drainage)
• Increases secretion of hormones that are important in regeneration and repair processes, such as
HGH (Human Growth Hormone), IGF-1, and testosterone
• Increases bone density
• Increases serotonin (the "happiness" hormone)
• Decreases cortisol (the stress hormone)
• Rehabilitates injuries and ailments
• Enhances explosive strength and fast twitch muscles
• Enhances conventional training results
• Relieves tension and chronic pain in ankles, knees, lower back and neck
Provides benefits of both aerobic and anaerobic exercises – Increases circulation through the body thereby increasing oxygen uptake by the cells
• Increases physical strength, dexterity and endurance – Mechanical oscillations create stretch reflexes in your tendons thereby stimulating involuntary muscle contractions throughout your body via your nervous and musculo-skeletal system.
• Improves balance and coordination – The moving plate stimulates stretch receptors and tendon reflexes in your joints. This stimulates increased receptor activity in a safe environment, challenging your balance and coordination systems.
• Increases bone density – by increasing the mechanical stressors on the bones via the involuntary muscle contractions created by the machine as well as balancing the hormones within the body.
• Reduces joint pain & inflammation while reducing ligamentous stress – The vertical movement creates a stretching in the joints, increasing space and replacing fluid between the bones as well as stimulating a dramatic increase of critical blood flow to these areas.
• Speeds recovery from surgery or trauma - the improved blood and lymph circulation will speed up healing time by the body. Also prevents loss of muscular strength from surgery due to lack of exercise during the initial recovery period.
Increased circulation of blood & improvement of cardiovascular system – Blood vessels are located between muscles that “pump” the blood throughout your body. The vibrations create muscle contractions, which in turn promote blood flow through to the next area, increasing cardiac output and overall circulation.
• Nervous System –Stimulates your nervous system’s proprioceptors, triggering your muscles and joints to remind you of where you are in space. Sort of like a work out for your nerve receptors.
• Increased lymph drainage & detoxification of systems – The lymphatic system is connected to every organ in the body and is absolutely essential in purifying the body to strengthen the entire immune system.
• Improved mood and energy level - Increased secretion of serotonin, a hormone which is used in many anti- depressants, is released into the body.
• Increased Hormone Production –Increases the release of hormones that are important in the regeneration & repair processes of our bodies, such as: Human Growth Hormone, Testosterone , Neurotrophine